Thursday 28 October 2010

Three Days Of Rain in Viveiro

Friday morning and it was stairods
Three days of rain was forecast so have decided to anchor up in Ceeillo next to Viviero and sort out the bike. The best bit of Cerillo is the sleeping area next to the beach. It is the pescalos social club with a covered area on two sides. For some reason my body is breaking down in sympathy with the bike.
I spent the day sorting the bike and was sure I had everything sorted. However I got distracted when putting it all together and finished up not tightening up the magneto. This resulted in breaking the key that holds it tight to the crankshaft. and damaged the slot the key sits in.
It cost me a few bob for plastic cement and a file and wet and dry sandpaper.
After reassembling the problem persisted and in the end I had to cement the magneto cover to the shaft. The bike proved impossible to start but some local kid said he could get it going.
His name was Santi and I was tired of the trouble so left him to it.
It was too late for him and he agreed to return the next day to continue. He knew what he was doing, as I watched him go over the same checks I had done over and over
The weather had really turned bad so I was in no rush and the following day he eventually returned and after much trying he succeeded. Ilater discovered he had reduced the plug gap to an unworkable gap in my mind. The reason it worked was as the plug got hot the gap increased. Later in the ride I think I discovered why the plug was getting so hot and hopefully when I return for part two I will have resolved the problem once and for all.
Later in the evening I had the local kids and those visiting from A Coruña to give a rendering of 'We all dream of a tem of Carraghers. It's a shame the light wasn't good, but at least it shows they tried



They, Santi, Manuel, Jose, Jesus, Carlo, Raquel, Bethlehem Andea(no, not really but that stuck) the rest I'll remember tomorrow. Went to the pub later and some of them turned up with some hot chestnuts and water and searched for me in the pub. It brought tears to my eyes. God bless them.
I was set to leave the next morning, but having lost 3 days decided to skip the coast line and head direct to Santiago.
I was hoping to see a few of my 'friends'but it was a fiesta there and there wasn't many people about.
I asked Santi to come down as I wanted to give him some cash for getting me underway, but I didn't have enough to give him what I wanted. I gave him 10 euros and got his address and will send him another ten as soon as I am sorted.
They really were a great set of kids and would be good to see them in future years when they are adults and travelling themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment