Thursday 14 October 2010

A Day of Tension, Missed Deadlines and Will it - Won't it's

Firstly Hicks and Gilett, just do one will you

How can such a little thing as a light bulb cause a two day delay in the start of the ride.

I had to order my 6 volt headlight bulb and with the wonders of technology I could see it was dispatched yesterday.
I waited in all morning and no post arrived. I was definitely in as I was glued to twitter and the court cases.
Suddenly it was 2 pm and no post.
I was in a state of zombie when I happened to go down to check on something in the garage and there was the delivery sitting there. The postman had just left it there, no card no knock.
It was too late to get to the test centre, but thought I would get everything sorted. Shock 2 came when I realised it was the wrong fitting. I managed to adapt the bulb to fit and tested it. Within seconds it had blown. I tried the one I got that causes the engine to stall and that seemed to work now. Starting to feel like the takeover one minute on the next minute off.
So to hell with it I take it to be tested tomorrow and hope for the best.
In the meantime I have to get a van and transport it to Plymouth tomorrow as thats the next departure point to Santander. It leaves on Sunday at 4 so will be able to catch the Derby in a pub before going. I also have to get measured for my sonns wedding suit in Liverpool before heading down there.
I will be leaving the bike in Torquay at a Scouser Tommys forums members house, while I return the van to Leeds and then bus it back down there. I feel I will do more miles in this process than the whole ride. Unfortunately the late departure means I will have to miss San Sebastian and run straight into the ride from Santander on the Monday to pick up the schedule.

As for mopeds and two strokes with magnetos, well....
Never leave the petrol on when parked. Try to run as much out the pipe before switching off. I believe the petrol and oil separate and make starting difficult again.
I remembered on the Ray of Hope putting the two stroke in the tank and then filling it without switching the fuel off on a couple of occasions. It resulted in me having to empty the carburettor before the engine would fire.
And always have a couple of spare plugs available.

No comments:

Post a Comment